EDUCATION IN MT. HEALTHY
I. GROWTH OF THE MT. HEALTHY PUBLIC SCHOOL
SYSTEM AND ITS BUILDINGS
II. BOARD OF EDUCATION
III. OTHER LOCAL SCHOOLS
VI. STUDENTS AND GRADUATES
VII. STUDENT CLUBS
VIII. SPORTS AND SPORT TEAMS
IX. ALUMNI CONNECTIONS: REUNIONS AND LINKS
Information in this document was compiled by Bev Wiest Spellmeyer and Sue Korn Wilson for the enjoyment of the Mt. Healthy community. Steve Harness provided technical and scanning expertise.
Source: The images in this project came from the Mt. Healthy Historical Society files or from the Mt. Health School District’s records, most often from the Mt. Healthy High School Yearbook, the Zem Zem.
Clicking on the images will open them in a new, larger window
. GROWTH OF THE MT. HEALTHY PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM AND ITS BUILDINGS
When Mt. Healthy, or as it was known back in the early 1800s, Mt. Pleasant, was a young settlement one of the first buildings (c. 1820) in the community was a one room log cabin/schoolhouse. Pioneers’ parents wanted their children to have a strong education. Today’s parents want the same good education for their children. Evidence of this was seen in January 2011 when Mt. Healthy completed the bold step of providing up-to-date school buildings for the children of the Mt. Healthy community.
There are few records or images of the early school buildings in Mt. Pleasant, but we do know the first schoolhouse was a log cabin probably located on the (John) Hoffner homestead at the northwestern corner of Compton Road and Perry Street.
|As the number of students grew, the log schoolhouse was replaced by larger schools. The first was said to be a brick building on the west side of Hamilton Avenue just north of McMakin Avenue. Little is known of this building. The next documented school was located on the north side of Compton Road between Hamilton and Harrison Avenues. Between 1920 and 1930s “Doc” Abbott lived in the second building and operated a store selling candy and school supplies.
In the 1840s the Springfield Township Board of Education system divided local schools into sub-districts. The Mt. Pleasant school became known as Sub-district #6. Sub-district #12, known as New Burlington, was north of Mt. Pleasant.
||On April 15, 1843, sixteen householders voted to raise $700 via a tax on local householders for the purpose of purchasing a lot and building a larger schoolhouse. Soon classes were being held in a 2-story brick building at 7616 Harrison Avenue located north of Compton Road on the east side of Harrison between the alley and McMakin Street. The school building was also used as a meeting house for community groups such as the Masons, who organized the Marion/McMakin Lodge in a school room on March 30, 1844. The Masons rented meeting space in the building until 1845. Later this building was used as a residence.
As enrollment increased, Mt. Pleasant invested in a large and substantial brick building on Perry Street just north of Compton Road. This “commodious” building was a prestigious symbol indicating that the village valued education.
During the early years several non-public schools existed in or near Mt. Pleasant. See
Other Local Schools for information about the African American Schools, German Language Schools (sponsored by the Lutheran and Methodist Churches), the Catholic School and New Burlington School.
In 1866 a larger, 4-room brick school was built at the northwest corner of Compton Road and Harrison Avenue. As the community grew, additions were made in 1888 and 1894 providing four more classrooms for grades 1-8. This location became the center of the Mt. Healthy school system for many years. A two year high school program was organized in 1892 and classes started in 1893. Because of the expanded courses and the growth of the village this building was torn down in 1910 and a larger brick school was built in its place. During the time the new building was being constructed the children went to school in two Sunday School rooms of the neighboring Mt. Healthy Christian Church on Harrison Avenue.
A new red brick building at 7601 Harrison Avenue, was dedicated on
September 30, 1911. This three-story building was the first in the
county to have a gymnasium. The gym was in the basement and had two
posts on the playing floor. The building featured a Rookwood
fountain and a stained glass dome in the auditorium, which was used
for village entertainment, class plays, recitals, meetings and other
events requiring large seating capacity. A four year high school
department was initiated in 1911 and until 1929 all twelve grades
were housed in this building. This building was first known as the
Grade School Building and than as the Grace E. Hunt Building
|In 1929 a new state of art brick high school opened at 7615 Harrison Avenue just north of the Hunt Building with an outstanding large, modern gymnasium. When the high school lunch room opened on October 13, 1931 under charge of Mrs. Nellie Barnes, it served teachers and 130 students in two periods. The lunch menu consisted of soup, sandwich and pie and cost fifteen cents. Mrs. Barnes was paid $2.50 per day from the proceeds of the lunch room. Increasing enrollment led to two wings being added to the building. This building was used as a high school until 1962. After 1962 it functioned as the Freshman Building, the Junior High and recently, as the district’s administration building.
Between 1962 (3853 students) and 1969 (7336 students) student
enrollment doubled. The increased student enrollment required a
series of new buildings to house all the students. Listed below are
the buildings that were built within a fourteen-year period under
the guidance of Superintendent Rex Ralph. In 1972 near Ralph’s
retirement, he was quoted as saying, “…and it is obvious we are not
building for any future needs - we are building for now.“
|Many school buildings were named to honor Mt. Healthy’s education leaders. See
Section V, Faculty for a description of their contributions.
First Mt. Healthy High School
Period of Rapid Enrollment Increases
Student enrollment is highlighted below.
|| Number of Students
Back to TOP
Built Building Name/Addition Location
1957 Matthew Duvall Elementary 1411 Compton Road near Seward
1954 Jane Hoop Elementary, 1738 Compton Road
In 1931 Miss Elizabeth Hill offered to help the district purchase the Gale
Homestead which was adjacent to the Hunt and High School campus. The
donation was made in her deceased sister’s name, Mary E. Hill. Mary Hill
had been a teacher for 29 years in the Cincinnati Public School System. Both
sisters greatly appreciated the quality education they had received from Mt.
Healthy Schools. The land was used as a field and playground until the Hoop
building was constructed.
|Jane Hoop Elementary
1959 Addition 27 rooms
1960 (Lulu) Greener Elementary 2400 Adams Road at Miles Road
1962 Addition 29 rooms
1962 Mt. Healthy Senior High School 2046 Adams Road
1961 New Burlington Elementary 10268 Burlington Road
New Burlington Elementary
1963, 1964, 1969 Additions
Click to see items contained in the corner stone that was put in place
during a ceremony conducted by the local Masonic Lodge on Sunday,
June 10, 1962. The building was dedicated Sunday, October 14, 1962.
1965 (Ethel) Frost Elementary 2065 Mistyhill Drive, in the Seven Hills Subdivision
This $552,000 building was built on 11.8 acres and consisted of 21
classrooms, plus support rooms: library, clinic, lounge, multipurpose area with
kitchen, locker and storage areas. There was a 1968 addition of 10 rooms.
1967 North Junior High Hamilton Avenue and Struble Road
1973 Addition on Pinney Lane.
1976 Rex Ralph Preschool Center 1310 Adams Road
Consisted of 6 modules that created 24 rooms
1976 South Junior High 1917 Miles Road
Back to TOP
In 2010 three new modern buildings replaced the above buildings which were closed and sold at auction or demolished. For the $90 million construction project, Mt. Healthy collaborated with the State of Ohio School Facilities Commission, which provided
71% of the construction costs.
North and South Elementary Schools opened September 2010. The Junior/Senior High School opened on January 10, 2011 with a ribbon cutting and dedication service which was followed by tours of the new building led by Superintendent Dave Horine.
Wings of the new buildings were named after the old buildings.
The new high school auditorium was named to honor Russell Hinkle, long time music teacher.
|North Elementary School Adams Road
Students who formerly attended New Burlington, Frost and Greener Schools now attend North.
||South Elementary School Struble Road
Students who formerly attended Hoop and Duvall Schools now attend South.
||Junior/Senior High School 8001 Hamilton Avenue
Students who formerly attended the North Junior High, South Junior High and the High School now attend classes at one facility.
Back to TOP
SECTION II. BOARD OF EDUCATION
In the 1800s Mt. Healthy was a sub-district of the Springfield Township Board of Education. Under this dual government system there were two Board of Educations providing oversight to the sub-district: the Mt. Healthy Board of Education and the Springfield Township Board of Education. The Ohio Workman Law established this above structure that took away much of the local control. The Springfield Township Board of Education had a record for “just and generous control.”
In the 1800s the Board of Education of each sub-district consisted of a team of three directors who were elected by male householders of the district. Mt. Healthy’s first directors were elected at a householders meeting on April 3, 1843. Elected were John Hoffner, chairman, John Wright and Isaac Lane. During the 1843 to 1856 period, the following additional community leaders served at various times as directors: Thomas Hoffner, Charles Cheney, Cuthbert Robeson, Martin G. Seward, J. J. Packer, Alexander B. Luse, Francis Carr Wright, Patrick Killin, Charles Stevens, Eben Crane, John McGill and William Durham.
In the 1850s when swearing in newly elected Directors, the following Oath of Office was used by the Sub-districts of Springfield Township Board of Education.
“I, (director’s name), do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Ohio, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge the duties of Director, in and for said Sub-district Number Six, Springfield Township, Hamilton County, Ohio, according to law and to the best of my ability.”
List of Mt. Healthy Board of Education Members from 1905 - Present
Mt. Healthy Village School District commenced with its first independent Board of Education in January 1905.
Back to TOP
Individuals of Note
William M. “Pete” Morris (1918-2001) - longtime member and president (1962-1978) of the Board of Education and founder (in 1955) of Mt. Healthy Athletic Boosters. Morris was president of Northern Hills Babe Ruth Baseball League. In 1979 the Mt. Healthy football field was named the William M. Morris Field in his honor. Morris was active in the Mt. Healthy Christian Church, the Mt. Healthy Historical Society and was selected Mt. Healthy’s Outstanding Citizen in 1986.
||Dr. Lafayette Neufarth - member and long-time president of the Board of Education between 1907 and 1938. The 1931 Zem Zem was dedicated to Dr. Neufarth as he had provided untiring service for almost “a quarter of a century.” He was known for supporting every effort to improve educational opportunities for the youth of Mt. Healthy. Dr. Neufarth delivered almost all of the Mt. Healthy babies between 1880 and 1930 and was active in many civic affairs, such as city council and was a director of the 1st National Bank.
Back to TOP
SECTION III. OTHER LOCAL SCHOOLS
African American Schools, known as “Colored Schools” in mid-1800s
In 1854 the Ohio Legislature established free public education, and again in 1878 new legislation required Boards of Education to provide free education “for all.”
However, Mt. Healthy Board of Education records indicate that in 1854 there was a separate “colored” school for 17 children and in 1855, for 26 children. The school probably was located on Hill Avenue in the hollow between Harrison and Hamilton Pike. Another possible location is the 2nd floor of a house at the NE corner of Hamilton and McMakin Avenues. Pupils of the school reached the classroom by an outside stairway. Board of Education minutes record that $2.75 was paid for house rent in September 1855. Perhaps it was for one of the above locations.
In April 21, 1856 the Springfield Township Board of Education passed a resolution authorizing districts to take charge of education for colored youth and set aside contingence funds for this. Records indicate that in Mt. Healthy, between May 12 and October 15, 1856, a free but separate school was operated by the Mt. Healthy Sub-district #6 for 23 students. Teacher Sarah Davis was paid $20 per month.
1887 Ohio legislation revoked all separate schools and required each district to provide the same educational opportunities to students of all races.
German Language Schools (Catholic, Lutheran and Methodist)
Mt. Pleasant, like many Cincinnati communities, was home to a number of German immigrants. Many German speaking families valued a good education and appreciated classes in the German language. In 1839, the Ohio Bilingual Law required German/English instruction at the parent’s request. In 1840 Cincinnati Free Schools provided bilingual education for children of German descent. It is reported that in Mt. Healthy the Catholic, Lutheran and Wesley Chapel (Methodist) Churches all offered schooling in the German language. It’s believed that the Lutheran School was located in Trinity Hall between 1869 and 1890.
In the early 1900s, approaching World War I, anything German became unpopular in the United States and most German instruction ended.
New Burlington Rural School District
Mr. Joseph Hechinger and 20-30 families purchased 10 acres and presented Lot #32 to the Catholic parish for a church building site. The Church of Assumption was built and dedicated in 1855. Three years later the Assumption School began operation in a new two and a half story frame school building that was erected north of the church.
A new school building was erected in 1908 at a cost of $18,000. Part of the new building served as a resident for the Sisters who were teaching in the school. Eighty-five students were enrolled at the time.
In R. F. Wilgers’ description of his childhood in Mt. Healthy he wrote that around 1915, tuition was 25 cents a month. The school had three grades in one room and lacked indoor plumbing. Students were seated by sex on separate sides of the classroom. The school building consisted of two class rooms plus one room for the nuns. The teaching nuns were under charge of the Sisters of Devine Providence.
On June 5, 1949 ground was broken for a new grade school. The Dedication and Blessing was on May 28, 1950. Additions were made in 1955, 1956, 1964 and 1966.
In the early 1800s both Mt. Pleasant and New Burlington were vibrant communities along Hamilton Pike with hotels and businesses serving travelers and residents. Each community had its own sub-district school.
In the fall of 1832 the first New Burlington Schoolhouse was built on ground purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Bradley for $15. The first schoolhouse was replaced by a red schoolhouse. It was a long building with gable ends pointing north and south with three windows on the sides of the building. Students sat on benches made of walnut logs, split in two.
After 1893, New Burlington 8th grade graduates were eligible to attend the newly opened Mt. Healthy High School on a tuition basis.
In 1900 a red brick, two-floor school with a bell tower was built. The school bell was the old-fashioned kind that was pulled by a rope to make it ring. Grades 1-4 were downstairs and grades 5-8 upstairs. Each row of desks was one grade level. A hot lunch was served for 1 cent. This school had running water but no indoor toilets!
Over the years the Mothers’ Club was extremely supportive of this school, often making suggestions for changes that kept the education environment safe and up-to-date. (Examples: play ground equipment and outdoor sanitary facilities).
Between 1927 and 1940 there was continuity in the membership of the Board of Education. The following men were elected to the Board of Education at various times: Alfred Bitter, Herman Imhulse, A. R. Case, Louis Lienhart, Joseph Ford (all 1927), Frank Bauer (1930) Erwin T. Spettel (1932), Thomas H. Rupp (1934), Al Jacoby (1937) and Albert Hilton (1938).
After 1950 there was no school in New Burlington; children were transported to Mt. Healthy. New Burlington joined the Mt. Healthy School District and in 1961 New Burlington Elementary was built at 10268 Burlington Road with 13 classrooms plus other support rooms at a cost of $426,090. In 1966, 13 additional classrooms were added.
Back to TOP
SECTION IV. CURRICULUM
In 1821 Ohio legislature established public school districts and began influencing such things as curriculum, attendance and taxation (to pay for school operation). Ohio taxation was supplemented by local taxes specifically intended for the support of local schools.
In 1838 the Ohio Legislature made school attendance compulsory. Bilingual instruction would be available after 1839 (at the parents request).
Early instruction in Mt. Pleasant for all grades was held in one large room in a log schoolhouse. A typical early school had boards fastened around the walls for writing and slab seats for students with the teacher sitting on a raised platform in the center of the room. Students faced the walls and had to turn toward the teacher when responding. Curriculum in 1845 included Reading, Writing and Arithmetic; Geography and Grammar were added for upper grade students.
Beginning in the late 1890s Miss Lulu Greener provided music instruction for all grades. The music program was outstanding. Greener engaged her students in voice and instrumental music so that the students were in demand as performers.
Vocational education came to Mt. Healthy High School in 1930 when Manual Training (teacher Charles E. Hoffman) was offered along with Home Economics classes (teacher Marjorie Hodapp). These excellent vocational classes began a long tradition of vocational classes offered by effective teachers that prepared students with employment opportunities and skills.
Mt. Healthy Schools had the reputation for graduating well prepared academic students who went on to college or to successful careers.
Early teachers appear to be from educated local pioneer families. Each teacher was evaluated by the Springfield Township Board of Education Examiners, who often were well educated Presbyterian ministers. Exam passage was required in order to teach. After 1850 teachers were required to complete Normal School (college) training to qualify for their teaching certifications.
The following is a listing of early teachers along with the year the teacher was hired: Joseph F. Wright (1843), John Wright (assistant teacher in 1843), W. B. Rust (1844), Samuel Creavy, E. Williamson (1846), W. H. Bowers (1848), George Long (1849), William Bacon (1850), Rebecca Tomlinson (1850), F. Jenkins (1851), William Garrard and A. B. Lloyd (1852), Alexander McGill (1852), Elizabeth McGill (1853), Aaron Hoel (1853), Mr. Kemper (1854), William Kelley (1855), Marie LaBrick and Sarah Mulony (assistant teachers in 1855), Masilla Buck (1855), Mary Johnson (1855), and Prescilla Johnson (1855).
During these early years half of the teacher salary came from the Ohio School Fund (Ohio tax) and the other half was collected from parents sending students.
The Mt. Healthy Historical Society Museum holds many items found in the early schools, including copies of the McGuffey’s First Eclectic Reader, revised edition (1879); McGuffey’s Eclectic Primmer, revised edition used in 1892 by Ethel Weber and Bobbs Merrill Second Reader, by Baker and Baker, a second grade reader used from 1931 to1937. Students were required to buy their own books.
You are invited to visit the Mt. Healthy Historical Society Museum located at 1546 McMakin.
SECTION V. FACULTY
A two year high school program was organized in 1892 with classes starting in 1893. On March of 1907 the Board voted to increase the high school program to three years and in 1911 to four years.
Mt. Healthy High School became known for its academic courses and the academic strengths of its teachers and students. At that time, most surrounding school districts did not offer high school program so their students attended Mt. Healthy High School on a tuition basis of $25 per year (1909); by 1935 tuition was $10 a month. Tuition students came from eleven surrounding communities/school districts (Assumption, Finneytown, Liberty, Monfort Heights, New Burlington, Newell, North College Hill, Pleasant Run, St. James, Science Hall and Springdale) until each district was large enough to support its own high school, excepting New Burlington which became a permanent part of the Mt. Healthy School District.
Back to TOP
(Superintendents, Supervisors, Principals, Teachers)
Photos of Teachers, Principals, and/or Supervisors are available in the Zem Zem yearbooks which are available at the Mt. Healthy Historical Society Museum at 1546 McMakin Avenue. There are also sets of the Zem Zems in the Mt. Healthy High School Media Center and the District Board Room.
List of Superintendents
Before 1905, the core of Mt. Healthy City School District was known as Sub-district #6 and was under the directives of the Springfield Township Board of Education. The Mt. Healthy school functioned with dual government - the Mt. Healthy Board of Education and the Springfield Township Board of Education - as established under the Ohio Workman Law.
In 1905 Mt. Healthy became independent of the Springfield Township governance and began operating under its own Board of Education and the Superintendents who are
N. H. Bartlett
- Popular Principal between 1890 and 1905
- Matthew Duvall served 45 years in education, 36 of those at Mt. Healthy as coach, teacher and principal. Between 1912 and 1943 Duvall was Superintendent. In 1929, Mr. Duvall coached the 11 member boys basketball team that won the second prize silver cup from the Hamilton County Class B Tournament. The first high school yearbook (1929) called the Zem Zem, was dedicated to Mr. Duvall. It read “Mr. Duvall has spared no effort in his endeavor to guide us on our pilgrimage to the Mecca of youthful ideals - (he) has helped to mold our student body into a throbbing personality.”
- Beginning in 1921, Frost taught in the Mt. Healthy schools for 44 years. Generations of Mt. Healthy students know her as their high school English and Latin teacher and as the advisor to the Zem Zem staff. She received her degree from Miami University in English, French and Latin. The high school newspaper, called the Tatler, originated in 1924 with Miss Frost as the faculty advisor. In April 1940, Miss Frost organized the Latin Club, Clientes Latinae. Members consisted of 36 second year Latin students, plus first year students with a Latin grade averaging 90. On September 5, 1965, Frost Elementary School located in the Seven Hills Subdivision, was named to honor Miss Frost.
- Beginning as a first grade teacher in the late 1800s, Miss Lulu Greener introduced music to the school system by teaching music two days a week. By the 1930s she taught music full time. The 1929 Zem Zem Yearbook lists Greener as a graduate of the College of Music and the Conservatory of Music. The Glee Club of Mt. Healthy High School, organized by Greener, first performed in December of 1928, with 25 girls of the sophomore, junior and senior classes. Rehearsals were held every Friday afternoon in the school auditorium with Miss Thelma Wernz as the accompanist. The Glee Club first appeared in competition before Judge Bull singing “On the Levee,” “Lullaby Song” and the “Banjo Song.” Miss Greener also conducted the ten piece orchestra which often played in Cincinnati suburbs. The high school chorus, led by Greener grew every year with talented singers and brought many honors to the school. She also operated the Lulu Greener School of Music and published poetry for the Cincinnati Times-Star newspaper.
Clyde V. Hardwick - Hardwick Way (between Harrison Avenue and the north end of the bus garage) is named to honor the Hardwick family and their contribution to district transportation. In 1955 Clyde Hardwick took over his father’s fleet of three school buses, which had provided service to Mt. Healthy schools since the 1940s. He eventually owned and operated a fleet of 36 school buses. Hardwick became the district’s first transportation supervisor.
Merle Hartzler - high school Principal between 1953-1961; District Business Manager after 1961.
Russell Hinkle - Band Director Russell Hinkle continued the Mt. Healthy tradition of excellence in music when he was hired in 1960. Hinkle took the band on tour to Great Britain in 1983 and on a three week concert tour of China in July 1984. Hinkle received great support from the Band Boosters who raised funds for the China trip under the chairmanship of parent Thelma Emmons Fry.
Today, Hinkle continues as Director of the Alumni Band (for over 25 years). The “Russell Hinkle Fine Arts Auditorium” was dedicated in the new Junior/Senior High School on Sunday, March 17, 2011.
Charles A. Hunt
Jane Hoop - Jane Hoop was a longtime second grade teacher who was greatly loved by students and parents. She never married. She wore a black suit with a red rose pinned on the lapel every day. Miss Hoop also brought a huge, bright red apple to school every day which sat on the corner of her desk until lunch time. Her method of discipline was direct and to the point: “go sit in the cloak room until you have learned to behave and listen.” Penmanship was stressed heavily by Miss Hoop. An elementary school was named in her honor.
- Born in 1869 in New Burlington, Hunt came to Mt. Healthy around 1900 as a 6th grade teacher and preparation (high school) teacher. He became the principal in 1901 and was the first superintendent beginning in 1905 until 1912, when he resigned to open the C. A. Hunt Hardware Store on Hamilton Pike. In 1930, the Zem Zem was dedicated to Hunt to thank him for his untiring work and true friendship to the Mt. Healthy schools. He also served as Master of the Masonic Lodge in 1913 and was a popular poet in Mt. Healthy.
Doc. Alfred W. Milner
Grace E. (Ludlow) Hunt - Wife of C. A. Hunt, this popular teacher taught the eighth grade and classes in the first two grade levels of high school. As a grade-school principal, she was admired for her fairness and her ability to smoothly fill in when a teacher was out sick. The Grade School was renamed in her honor.
Judge Charles F. Malsbary - Charles Malsbary was Mt. Healthy’s first Principal of record. Malsbary was a noted educator who later became a judge in Cincinnati.
- Milner was a high school principal and was appointed acting Superintendent of Schools on the death of Mr. Duvall. He was made Superintendent in 1944.
Earl W. Muskopf
- Muskopf began working in education as a high school mathematics teacher. He also was coach of baseball, soccer, and track between 1929 and 1950. In 1957 he was appointed the first principal of Matthew Duvall School where he continued working until retirement in 1968. For many years, Muskopf was a Director for the Mt. Healthy Savings and Loan and a Deacon at the Mt. Healthy Christian Church.
- High school Principal (1951-1953) and Superintendent from 1953 to 1972. Ralph was superintendent during a time of community population growth: 1950 (5533 residents) to 1970 (7446 residents), a population growth of about 25%. As a result he oversaw the construction of seven school buildings between 1953 and 1967.
Back to TOP
SECTION VI. STUDENTS AND GRADUATES
The high school annual, the Zem Zem, contains yearly records of students. You are welcome to stop at one of the locations below to review these Zem Zems.
The Mt. Healthy Historical Society, located at 1546 McMakin, has a complete set of Zem Zems.
Also there are sets of Zem Zems in the Mt. Healthy High School Media Center and the District Board Room.
||Frank Titus and Vernon Hoffner (far right) were the first graduates to complete the 2 year high school program. In the image, teacher and principal, N. H. Bartlett, is found at the left end of the 3rd row along with students of the upper grades. Their graduation ceremony was held at the Mt. Healthy Christian Church in June 1895.
In May of each year the Mt. Healthy Alumni Association selects an “Alumnus of the Year.” Recipient portraits will be hung at the Mt. Healthy High School Building.
Frank Titus & Vernon Hoffner
List of Alumnus of the Year
1986 Dr. Harry Shirkey
1987 Billy Doran
1988 Estelle Taylor Hoffman
1989 Gerald (Jay) Ruoff
1990 Thomas Kirby
1991 Tracy Townsend
1992 Roger Roettele
1993 Frank Stout
1994 William Pete Morris
1995 Neidhard Family - Larry, Joe and Shirley Meister Neidhard
1996 Don Wolf
1997 Bev. Wiest Spellmeyer
1998 Haskin Family
1999 Rose Ries Kahsar
2000 Joyce Bloom Hauer and Mike Hauer
2001 Diana Kirby Klenk
2002 Sylvia Naderman Lawson and Ralph Stricker
2003 None because there were 2 in 2002
2004 Mark Hensler
2005 Betty Schoenlaub Hutzel
2006 Ray Stoehr
2007 Craig and Ken Keller
2008 Vierling Blum
2009 Patti Rogers Harness
2011 Julie Handley Robinson
2012 Steve Harness
Back to TOP
SECTION VII. STUDENT CLUBS
In 1929 the first high school annual yearbook, Zem Zem, was published. Its name comes from the ancient Arabian well of memory, Zem Zem. The Forward of the 1929 Zem Zem states, “Come! Refresh thyself at the well of memory! Drink of the water of the holy well of Zem Zem and live again those happy days at Mt. Healthy High.”
Each Zem Zem contains yearly records of students, student clubs, sports and activities. You are welcome to stop at one of the locations below to review any Zem Zem.
The Mt. Healthy Historical Society, located at 1546 McMakin, has a complete set of Zem Zems. Also there are sets of the Zem Zem in the Mt. Healthy High School Media Center and the District Board Room.
Back to TOP
SECTION VIII. SPORTS AND SPORT TEAMS
To review information about school sports and team membership, the Mt. Healthy Historical Society has a complete set of Zem Zems, the high school annual, available at the museum, located at 1546 McMakin. There are also complete sets of the Zem Zems at the Mt. Healthy High School Media Center and the District Board Room.
Members of the Athletic Hall of Fame
Individual portraits have been hung on the walls at the new high school near the gymnasium lobby.
Last Name/ First Name/ Year Graduated
|Betts, Darrick 1996
||Goodpaster, Richard 1964
||Klug, Amanda 1999
||Rooks, Ron 1960
||Ungerbuehler, Scott 1971
|Bryant, Dale 1982
||Grunkemeyer, John 1966
||Lewis, Billy 1979
||Schaaf, Glenn 1957
||Wahoff, David 1985
|Cannon, Brian 1994
||Hagedorn, Ken 1959
||Merkel, Dave 1963
||Schenke, Dan 1973
||Walker, Eric 1990
|Carmichael, Adair 1981
||Hauer, Jason 1986
||Morano, Brenda 1992
||Schlosser, Tim 1969
||Watson, Kelley Janet 1977
|Corcoran, John 1973
||Hill, Dandre 1992
||Morningstar, Dana 1992
||Schlosser, John 1972
||Weirich, Tom 1960
|Davis, Wayne 1981
||Hill, Ed 1989
||Olding, Joe 1997
||Spellmeyer, Richard 1951
||Wunder, Steve 1972
|Doran, Bill 1975
||Keller, Kevin 1968
||Pierson, Rick 1973
||Spellmeyer, Walt 1957
|Edwards, Arnike 1984
||Keller, Kip 1966
||Ralls-Holloway, Nekeya 1994
||Starr, Matt 1996
|Fridman, Bill Coach
||Kidd, Don 1977
||Reichert, Ed 1992
||Stragand Woods, Suzanne 1988
|Gaither, William 1983
||Kline, Robert 1966
||Riley, Eugene 1985
||Thal, Lyn 1983
Back to TOP
SECTION IX. ALUMNI CONNECTIONS
LINK TO LATEST REUNION INFORMATION AT
In 1912 Superintendent C. A. Hunt called a meeting of representatives from different graduating classes to organize an alumni association. During the next 25 years the Mt. Healthy Alumni Association would gather in early summer for an evening that included dinner, reports from school leaders, a welcome to the graduating class, officer election and musical entertainment. The evening concluded with dancing.
See the Alumni Association’s website for information about current activities.
You can visit engraved bricks at the front of the Harrison Avenue Administration Building to see names of former students, teachers and Mt. Healthy families.
Back to TOP